Monday, December 27, 2004

I'm in Will's room tonight, and he's doing better. His ventilator settings are back down where they were yesterday, and he is holding his oxygen really well considering where he has been in the past 18 hours. They continue to monitor him very closely to make sure he doesn't get another mucus plug that would block his airway, and he again has taken on a lot of fluid that has left his eyes swollen shut. But he has been able to sleep quietly most of the day and has had few issues to deal with related to his rough night or otherwise. They did drain more fluid from around his lung this afternoon, but it was less than they'd pulled off yesterday, and it took longer for that lesser volume to accumulate, so the medicine might be starting to work. We'll see. It would be nice to have that hurdle out of the way, because the way his lungs recover from all of these situations would seem to indicate that they are ready to start working a little better if given the chance.

We're hoping for a quiet night tonight, though I must admit I'm not eager to expect one. I'm real reluctant to go home and hit the sack for fear of getting another phone call. It's completely irrational, but I feel as if being here might keep something bad from happening. I have some work to do tonight, then we'll see. Extreme fatigue might force my hand, but I'll deal with that later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home