Friday, January 07, 2005

Despite the fact that his morning x-ray showed that his lungs were "whited out" -- a term that pretty accurately describes the way they look when they aren't filling very well with air -- Will was doing pretty well when I stopped this morning. He did need a bit more oxygen, but his blood pressure, heart rate and general disposition were fine. He still isn't peeing much, so they're giving him a couple of doses of the diuretic today in the hope that this will stimulate things. They also plan to tap the area around his lung this afternoon. He didn't make it three days this time, but more than two isn't bad considering where he's been. They might have been able to hold off longer, I'd assume, if his lungs were doing better overall. All of the fluid in his body beyond that in the pleural cavity can't be helping things, as it puts a lot of pressure on his lungs. So, once again, we wait to see what that does for him.

If he gets too edgy, they can put on a CD that Mary and I recorded for him of us reading him stories. He seems to like being read to, so the NICU music therapist worked with us earlier this week to record some of the stories with a bit of light lullaby music in the background. Will now has a CD including "Jamberry," "Bear Wants More," "The Red Barn" and his mother's personal favorite, "Goodnight Moon." My own favorite is "Two Little Trains." It, "Goodnight Moon" and "The Red Barn" all are by Margaret Wise Brown, a name I'd never heard until a few weeks ago. Now, I have a favorite children's book author.







3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Henry has The Runaway Bunny, if you'd like to borrow it and read it to Will!

Just the other day, I told H that the book we were reading, The Snowy Day, was one that Will's mommy and daddy gave when Henry was born. It's one of his favorites.

We also highly recommend Sandra Boynton's Pajama Time and the Dr. Seuss book, There's a Wocket in my Pocket. You'll discover that you will quickly not NEED the BOOK anymore because you'll know them by heart. ("Did you ever have a feeling there's a zamp in the lamp? Or a nink in the sink? Or a woset in the closet?"!!!)

I'm sure Will will enjoy the CD, during the times when you two can't be there reading in person.

Hugs to you all.

3:37 PM  
Blogger PJ Geraghty said...

It was great to finally meet Will (and seeing John & Mary again wasn't too bad either). I'll hasten to add, though, that the chest x-ray described to (and subsequently by) John as "whited out" in truth didn't look all that bad, and his subsequent x-ray (about 8-10 hours later) looks a LOT better. Again, no explanation for why the difference or the improvement, but he was looking pretty sharp when we said goodnight tonight.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah...Goodnight Moon...my favorite children's book EVER, even now.

True story...when I was 17 and had just finished my Freshman year of college, I had all four wisdom teeth taken out. My Dad took time off work to stay with me and to manage my meds (antibiotic, painkillers, etc.) while my Mom went to work. I had a really bad reaction to the initial antibiotic, but it took the orthodontist three days to figure out that was why I was so sick. Dad dutifully woke me up at the appropriate times to feed me and/or medicate me (depending on whether the meds needed to be taken with food or not...), and on the second day, woke me up, gave me a milkshake and my pills, and before I had a chance to throw up for the umpteenth time said, "Would you feel better if I read you Goodnight Moon?"

I burst into tears, which was difficult, considering how swollen my face was, and nodded. And then, my wonderful, wonderful father began reading "Goodnight Moon" to me, and I lay there, and listened, and felt so much better.

Here's hoping it becomes as wonderful for Will. I'm so glad to hear they're playing a CD of you guys reading to him. SO cool. And it still works, even when your kid isn't a little guy anymore. :-)

Happy New Year and best wishes!

:-) Genie

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home